Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Catling's littel booke


This is a temporary post. My Mac is so old that the only version of netscape it'll run doesn't support the Blogger HTML editor, and I can't upload images unless I do it at work, but I'm too busy to write a review here, so I'm posting the picture and I'll get round to doing the review on thursday or friday. In the meantime, check that "HYH" in the middle of the title. Hebraic, non?

Sunday April 30th
Still not got around to it. I recieved quite a substantial sum of back pay this month, so spent three days eating and drinking like a bloated aristo. Douglas Adams said it: "I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by."

Tuesday May 9th
I can't be bothered now. Shall I just roughly run through what I thought? It looks lovely, coppery leathery brown and cream with copper staples. It's a sequence of personal lyrics, all quite short, each of which contains the word 'thyhand'. It's a similar trick to 'The Stumbling Block', and betrays his training as a sculptor. He comes at a mysterious thing from a variety of angles, holds it up against various lights, surrounds it with things, traces its outline, treats it as a volume. Personally I found it a bit disappointing - it looked slightly as if he'd tried to bend his weird and intimidatingly fevered materiel to serve some rather conventional romantic (small r) purpose. I'm sure the addressee of these lines was chuffed to a rosy blush. I can take it or leave it myself. And I don't mean to sound pedantic, but it's full of what I can only assume are spelling mistakes, one of which has been tippexed out (in all 200 copies I suppose), the remainder left to perplex and irritate. Kind of amateurish, if I'm honest. Still, if you ever get the chance to see him perform, do not miss it.

Comments:
I swap you this link to headsville narratives for that lovely picture.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?